Friday 16 August 2013

Andorra World Cup

Having never been to Andorra before I was excited to see what it was going to produce for us sollehs. It was the 3rd race of the 2013 World Cup series, in Vallnord. The mountains where huas! To Andorra I traveled in a Different van, in the 'Marae' with couple of the other Kiwi boys, stopping in at a beach south of France on the way. 

This track was so good, soo good. The majority of the it was under trees, many roots, holes and rocks appeared quickly though out practice. Steep, rough, gnarly, rowdy, loose, wild, are only the few descriptive words I can think of to describe the track. It was awesome, I very much enjoi it. During the couple of days leading up to practice it just poured down. We were at the top one afternoon as the team pits were up there instead of the bottom, then a big storm rolled through and I experienced the most ruthless hail storm ever, party time! First day of practice everyone was running spikes as it rained the night before. The track dried out quickly though, so cut down spikes (mud tires) were the way to go. It was dusty in sections in no time. 




Qualifying was the next day, it was sunny and it was going to stay that way. In my run I tried to keep it smooth and controlled as potential to get wild was too easy. The track was just over 6 minutes for me,  full of rough holes, arm pump and just staying on was the aim of zee game. I wasn't too happy with my run, messed a few things, just had some sketchy moments but I came down and ended up in 21st. To qualify you have to be in the top 20. Probably the worst place you can come, one off. One mistake, one small section could have let the breaks off a little bit more, shouldn't have done this, or that. So disappointed that I wasn't able to make the finals but being that close is a big achievement for my first year racing as an elite women. I know that I have the potential to be up there. 

Pila IXS cup was the weekend after and being their last year I knew what to expect.  Few big drops with no landings. Hucks. Pila is in Italy close to the French border by Mt Blanc, a small town above the city of Aosta. The track cuts in and out of woods sections which means in-between is quite a bit of pedaling.The track is very fun to ride but to race it is tiering and hard.  In my Qualifying run I came round a flat corner too hot and my front wheel slid out from beneath me so I ended up scratching up one side of my helmet :'( tears.  

Race day at the beginning of the day the track was a bit slippery as it rained after our seeding run for a long time.It dried out by race run and was in good condition. As I seeded quite badly because of my crash I was 3rd off the start, in my run I ended up catching the women in front of me so had to make a pass in my race run. I came down into 1st and was in the hotseat for a while. I ended up 12th position in a strong field of racers. 

After Pila we headed back to Morzine where I am right now, staying here for a couple more weeks before we head up to Norway for the World Cup. 

ta ta for now xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment