Monday 14 September 2015

World Championships ,Vallnord

The season Finale, World Championships. 

I was always excited to get to Andorra, after riding the track 2 years ago and just missing out on qualifying by placing 21st, I was eager to redeem myself..not just for that race but this season. 

I went in with a open mind and with excitement. The first couple of days for practice where wet and slippery, which I loved! Mud riding is awesome…until you have to clean absolutely everything!  I was hoping at the beginning of the week it would stay a bit greasy to really SPICE up the world champs... Things turned as the week went on and the sun decided to make an appearance for the weekend, drying out the track in most spots and leaving gracious ruts. 

Track walk with Alanna 

Saturday morning UCI had us girls to start practice at 7 am… it was still dark at 7 am!!! Luckily they moved it back…half a hour!! Comedians … There was Ice on the start ramp and I didn't wear gloves. On that day we had timed practice which was just after 9, even still then at the bottom I had numb fingers and toes. 

Zach Faulkner for the Shot! 

Race day was approaching and the track was changing constantly, absolutely loving it. Putting on the NZ jersey is an amazing feeling, I am so proud to be a kiwi! We are an amazing bunch of humans.  I hadn't done a World Champs since 2013 in Leogang as a junior . The year before was Champery but unluckily I broke my wrist before finals, It had been a while since a bit of World Championship action. 

Photo credit @tommyawilkinson of Decent-world.co.uk

At the top, before my race run I listened to some Gangster RAP hip HOP Boom DE Boo and mentally prepared myself for doing the last jump.. which I hadn't hit yet!! OOOPs. I kept it together and stayed on the bike in my race run. There was one section in the middle between two bridges which was still slippery and wet, this was where a lot of people where crashing, so I took it.. controlled as possible and stayed on, which paid off mega. My run felt together…the result I got was not what I was expecting. I came into the last opening before the jump and just thought to myself…YOLO.. better send her to the moon! Hit the jump perfect and came across the line into the hot seat…where I sat for a while and it was pretty unreal. 

A friend asked me what result I wanted at World Champs earlier in the week.. I jokingly  said "Top 10 would be nice"… Then it happened !! 10th position in the WORLD! Love surprising myself . I know I am well and truly capable of this at a more consistent rate, with a few changes happening in this off season I know what I have to work on as a person and an Athlete.  I had a below average season I thought, I wasn't very happy with my results and I was questioning myself.. what was I doooooing. To be fair, I wanted to get through the season with no injuries, last year, A broken collar bone, back and tendons in my hand just made me remember how much I hate time OFF the bike. In all, I am so happy with the way the season ended. Couldn't be happier with my best result yet, Top ten!? 


For now.. I am being a solo gypsy, with no plans of now.. other than head to the uk and sell my bike so I can purchase a plane ticket back to NZ, home. 

I would like to thank everyone who has helped me out this season, Firstly my amazing, wonderful, beautiful parents, I love you eternally. Nana and Grandpa for being the best supporters in the world :) Love you !!  Bruce at 3sixty Sports NZ for helping me out with everything!!! Banshee bikes for having the raddest rig on the scene with Keith, Jay and Dennis, Aaron , Scout at Ti Springs.com. Halo Wheels, Aaron at Alta,  Smith optics. My friends, Victoria for putting up with me for a few months and everyone on the scene who created more memories for me to treasure. THANKYOU. 

Duncan Philpott with this banger from race run :)  


Keep your eyes pealed for Off season edits!! Big plans up my sleeves. 

:) :) Peace out, Happy days hombres. 

No comments:

Post a Comment