Tuesday 12 August 2014

Windham World Cup

Before I arrived in Windham on the Tuesday evening, I spent a lovely night in Chicago Airport due to lightning storms so I missed my connecting flight to Albany NY. Sleeping on my bag whilst one leg is wrapped around my bike box for full security.. Was seriously scared I was going to wake up in the ghetto. Great first night in the US of A #freedom. 

Finally arriving to Albany the next afternoon, having to cram all my belongings into a tiny little Fiat, the wee two door car with myself and Jamie Hill. Two bikes, two big gear bags, tools, extra wheels and everything in-between... all held down with a single shoelace with the boot half open!! I seemed to have picked up ultimate packing skills over the years, being able to fit as much as possible in to the smallest amount of space, gypsy101.  

The Windham track was short, compared to the long Mount Sainte Anne it was totally different, very much one line down, fast, very fast . I don't think I had ridden a track that tapped out before. First run I was like woooo this is crazy yalll, but I adjusted to it and embraced it once again. The jumps where big and fast, ok everything was very fast. Hitting big jumps for the first time is quite scary for me, but I feel I am improving day by day, sending and getting air time is getting more fun rather than being a total cat about it. 

Jarna, Alanna, myself and Ralph all loving freedoms . 

My qualification run down the hill was together but not as fast as I wanted. This track you could totally let it go in some sections, but it was finding the in-between where you could go as fast as you could but be not totally out of control. I have got my confidence back riding but seriously still don't feel like I am up to speed as I was before my injuries. I know I can go a hole lot faster..it will come. Emmeline and Josh this weekend where flying, so much respect. Also the times where ridiculously close for the lads, so happy for Blenki and Brook, two kiwis on podium :) I came down in 17th place for qualis so made it in yeoooooow :) :) Also put on a sweet show, full ronnie back the last big sender, had a bit of a swap out..everyone was quite surprised that I was able to ride it out and not crash..skills.

Race day, track was more blown out as per usual, big ol holes and more dust.  I wanted a fast together run which I tried to do. I felt as it could have been a lot faster, but I did the best I could. I finished in 15th place, which is my best result yet. 

Now Im headed back to Whistler for Crankworkx to compete in some of the events there. Windham will be my last World Cup for this year, due to lack of funds, I will also not be able to make it up to Norway for World Champs which is really gutting as that track is amazing and Im feeling good. Hopefully next year I will be able to make it to Andorra for the World Champs there and also be able to race more of the World Cup circuit. 

Peace! 
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment