Thursday 19 February 2015

NZ Nationals / Injury Update.

Helloooooo internet. 

I have not posted anything in a while as not too much has been happening. Until NOW...

I arrived back from Canada mid October after having the most amazing time in Whistler and the two World Cups I raced in getting my best results yet. I made a quick edit from riding in Whistler , CLICK HERE TO WATCH: http://www.pinkbike.com/news/video-sophie-tyas-in-whistler.html

Unfortunately I came home with a hand injury which was more serious than I first thought, I had done damage to tendons in my hand and fingers which left me unable to grip. This took me out of riding until the start of January, just in time to race Round 1 of the NZ national series in Cardrona on my BRAND NEW 2015 BANSHEE LEGEND, I got it mid November,  do you know frustrating it is looking at a fresh biking sitting there and unable to ride it… BOO. I was absolutely gutted about the hand as it set me back in my riding and training leading up to our National series, in which I was eager to have consistent top 3 finishes.  
Cardrona race, rad shot from Sven Martin 

Now I am Extreeeeeeeeeamly over injuries. Last year was a mare so I'm keeping 2015 INJURY FREEEEE. *touches wood*. In the 4 National round I finished 6th, 5th , 5th and 3rd in the Pro Elite women. 

National Champs was just this weekend in Rotorua, held on the track they used in 2006 for the Downhill World Championships.. the first time a race has been held on it since then. IT WAS AWESOME. The Rotorua mountain bike club (Descend Rotorua) and Empire of Dirt are getting it ready for Crankworkx NZ which are being held at the end of March. Everyone is extremely excited that this HUGE bike festival is being brought to the bottom of the Southern Hemisphere, which will be great for New Zealand and the Mountain Biking Community. Its a push the sport needs and fingers crossed we will get some more young girls get into it… A major lackage of gals coming through right now…common girlys, its not that scary. 

Crashing in my race run in Christchurch..Opted for the harder high line..it got me that time

The Track was proper DH GNAR. Wild. Loose. Big ol rock garden, Jumps, techy, fast grass section.  I was having a lot of fun and it tested your skills for sure. On the morning of race day, I had a big crash down a chute, hard into a tree with my head… just so happen to be the same tree my friend Vero got knocked out the day before on..I was very lucky. I was a quite shaken up afterwards and had a headache for the next 2 days :'(  This was the biggest crash I have had in a while and it knocked my confidence a back as it was so close to race run. 

I managed to place 3rd in Elite women taking home the Bronze Medal, although I wasn't very happy with my seeding and race run as I felt I held back and didn't push it as hard as I wanted. In saying that, I am just happy I even got to race National Champs this year as last year I was unable to because I broke my back . ( Which I just found out the other day that I broke it!! Chriopractor X-rayed and said it had been broken…what in the world) 

Showing off the 2015 Banshee Legend.. what a Beaut!! 

Next week Im off to Australia to race the Oceania's in Tawoomba. I am happy to be back riding and having a great time, slowly getting back to where I want to be. It is very frustrating but I know I will be back up to speed very soon…. :) :) watch out world 

Thanks again to everyone supporting me, MUM + DAD, Nana + Grandpa. Bruce at 3Sixty Sports , Aaron at ARC engineering LTD , Banshee Bikes, Halo Wheels 

xx

3Sixty Sports team looking swag, cheeky boys. 




No comments:

Post a Comment