Saturday 3 May 2014

Injury

Since the last post, my back is almost 100% after my big crash in February, missing National Champs but I managed to ride at Oceania's on my brand new Banshee Legend placing 3rd Elite Women in the muddy conditions. I was taking it easy as I was on a brand new bike trying to get the feel of it, also not riding for a long time, I was riding cautiously.
"eww mudd"

My new Banshee Legend is AWESOME. Bruce from 3Sixty Sports NZ has stepped in to help with chasing my dream of being a Top Professional Mountain Biker. His support gives me determination to push harder and get top results. When people are supporting you, it gives you hope and belief, they believe in you. So you believe in yourself.. I am so grateful for everyone who helps me out along the way it means so much to me. The Banshee looks and also rides so well! Aaron from Alta has also stepped in with Royal Racing gear for me which looks so nice aswell, matches my bike! aint no clashing going on here :) The Royal gear is so light weight and drys quickly which is very handy after a muddy day of riding. 


Leading up to my first World Cup of 2014 which was going to be Cairns in Australia, wasn't too good because of the back but physio 3 times a week was very helpful for rehab. I had been training 3 sessions a week with my coach Aari one on one, mainly just getting my strength and fitness back up to scratch. Riding gondola, dirt jumps and trails on other days too. All was going well and I was getting very excited to be back on the World Cup scene. 

I flew to Cairns on the Saturday a week before the race (because flights where unbelievably expensive around easter!) to get some riding in and adapting to the humidity! 30 degrees plus everyday....

On Sunday I decided to go riding with the guys I was staying with, Eddie and Wyn masters and Casey brown. We were just riding local tracks, shuttling on the main road. The track was fast and loose, anyhow on my 2nd run at the top of the track, there was a fast drop in to a corner.. my front wheel slid out from under me on the corner and I managed to brake my collarbone.. I rode down the rest of the track as I thought the pain would just go away but no..it cut me deep.in the HEART 



I knew it was broken when I did it, I just didn't want to face the fact. Absolutely gutted, such inconvenient timing...no words can describe how I felt.. WHY! Coming back from my back injury, this was just a huge disappointment and set back even more. I was planning to race Fort William, Scotland in a month or so for round 3 of the World Cups, now I will have to see how this heals up.  As it is broken on the end of the bone, it is an Uncommon brake with a higher chance of not healing right...so I am pushing for surgery as it will heal faster and stronger. 

Injury. I never really get injured that much but the start to this season has been horrible. I know it can be turned around though so I am staying positive. I hope to come out stronger mentally from this, giving me determination to get back racing as soon as I can. Like I said on my last post, downhill is a high risk sport and sometimes you pay the price, without consent!

Plans now are to try get surgery sorted here in Christchurch then see what happens from there. I will defiantly be racing some World Cups this year, my plans are now in the open because of this. Everything will work out and be fine :) 

Once again, thank you so much to everyone that is supporting me and helping me out. I will come back stronger! 

Peace xx

No comments:

Post a Comment